The purpose of Professional Learning and Development in the Iron County School District is to ensure that there are highly qualified teachers in every classroom, that there are highly qualified principals and assistant principals in every school, and continued and sustained improvements in student academic achievement across the board.
All professional development given in Iron County School District should meet the following guidelines:
- Learning experiences designed for direct transfer to the classroom and student learning.
- Learning experiences for both teachers and students based on current theories, research, and models of human learning. Includes the coordination, monitoring, and prioritizing of topics and resources.
- Incorporates learning strategies that have effect sizes greater than .50 (Hattie, 2009) and that align with the UETS teaching standards.
- Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) that create a support system for professional learning, teacher leadership capacity, instructional growth, and student learning
- Data-driven decision making to track the effectiveness of the professional development (Guskey’s 5 level evaluation model), and to assess the effects on student learning.