Policy Code: JECBA
Adoption Date: Monday, July 9, 2018
HOMELESS STUDENTS ELIGIBILITY TO ATTEND SCHOOL
The Board recognizes the importance of requiring and maintaining necessary records for all students. However, the Board also recognizes the importance of removing the barriers for homeless students to enroll and participate in school. Under the McKinney-Vento Act, homeless students are entitled to immediate enrollment and full participation even if they are unable to produce records normally required for enrollment, such as previous academic records, medical records, proof of residency, birth certificate, or other documentation.
- Homeless students shall be enrolled immediately.
- Homeless students will be granted full participation in school activities and programs. They cannot be excluded based on their inability to present the following information:
a. Immunization record
b. Medical record
c. Birth certificate
d. Previous school records or transcripts
e. Guardianship records
f. Proof of residency
g. Other required documentation
- Homeless students have three options in choosing which school to attend:
a. The school the child has attended when permanently housed
b. The school the child last attended
c. The school closest to the shelter or other temporary housing
- The school will continue efforts to assist the student in collecting necessary and important records especially all immunization information.
- The school will work closely with the District Outreach/Homeless Liaison.
Transportation. If the child or youth continues to attend his or her school of origin, transportation shall be provided promptly even if there is a dispute pending regarding which school is in the child's best interest to attend. Transportation will continue to be provided to and from school of origin for the remainder of any academic year during which the child or youth becomes permanently housed.