Policy Code: JECD-R

Adoption Date: Tuesday, April 22nd, 2014


A student may be allowed to earn credit for specific classes outside the normal required attendance if it is specified in his/her SEOP and agreed to by the principal of the school. Possible alternative methods of earning credit may include but not be limited to the following:

  1. College or university courses passed and completed. The college grade would be the grade given on the student’s report card. Three (3) semester hours of college credit will count as one Carnegie Unit of high school credit. 130 hours of seat time equals one Carnegie Unit of high school credit.

  2. Correspondence/Independent study courses from colleges or universities may be used for high school credit if the course is closely related to the high school course, or if the course is to be used for elective credit.

  3. Departmental independent study courses from the high school being attended may be used for up to one credit at the discretion of the department and principal. Only a passing grade will be recorded.

  4. Work experience in a job directly related to a high school course may be granted up to one-half (1/2) credit for every 180 hours on the job if in conjunction with a work-based learning class or part of a students IEP. A passing grade will be given if approved by the employer and principal.

  5. Credit may be allowed for course work completed in programs like Upward Bound or summer school, if it is included in the student's SEOP/CCR and approved by the principal. All of these would be on a pass/fail grading system.

  6. Online Courses. Courses taken by students from an AdvancEd accredited, or affiliated, institution. This would include, but not be limited to: Utah Electronic High School, College or University online accredited courses, and courses offered online by Iron County School District, other school districts or charter schools.

To receive the diploma of a specific high school a student must have attended that school the semester prior to graduation.